Upcoming 2016 “OBC’s Sustainable Water Challenge” aka
“Sustainable Water Challenge/Pure Water Brew Competition”
This highly popular competition is open to members of OBC only, brought to you by Clean Water Services, Carollo Engineers, and Black & Veatch.
1. Each Entrant will be supplied with 10 Gallons of Ultra Pure Water supplied by Clean Water Services. The Entrant must use this water to brew a 5 gallon batch of beer that is kegged and submitted in a standard 5 gallon corny keg.
2. Entries: There will be 40 entry spots available. Registration will take place online via the OBC website on Saturday July 9th @ 10:00 AM. Upon registration you will be asked to choose a strain of yeast and a style of beer. No changes can be made after Tuesday July 12th.
3. Water Delivery Date (estimated) is Friday July 15th at F.H. Steinbart. Please pick up your water no later than July 17th. Volunteers will assist in loading your water.
4. Imperial Organic Yeast is once again providing yeast for all entrants the year. You can choose from the following nine strains. These will be available for pick up at FHS along with your water.
Ale: Flagship, Barbarian, House
Lager: Global, Harvest, Deiter
Belgian: Napoleon, White Out, Gnome
5. Styles: The purpose of this competition if to focus of the water, therefore we don’t want beers that mask the water, I.E. CDAs, RISs, IPAs, Strong Belgians, etc.)
Because of this we would prefer beers to be ≤ 6.0 %
Acceptable styles: Kolsch, Pilsner, Helles, light hybrid, Witbeir, Weissbier, English Brown ale, American Brown ale, English Pale ale, American Pale Ale, Belgian Pale ale, Belgian Blonde ale. Blonde Ale. Keep in mind, your beer will not be judged to BJCP style requirements. Although there will be a BJCP judge participating, many of the judges will be staff of CWS, volunteers, local celebrities and OBC members who will just be judging by taste and quality of the beer.
No Adjuncts like fruit flavorings, spices, wood, etc. can be added to your beer. If you have any questions if your beer choice will be acceptable, contact email@example.com before you brew your beer.
6. Reimbursement: In addition to free yeast and water, ALL PARTICIPANTS who brew an approved style of beer will be reimbursed $20 to offset their cost of ingredients.
7. Canning and Deadline: All entrants must supply their beer for competition in a standard 5 gallon corny keg (Ball lock preferred). Your beer should be fully carbonated and dropped off at F.H. Steinbart (subject to change) No later than Friday, Sept 2nd .
8. Judging: Judging will take place at on September 10th at the Raccoon Lodge and Brewpub in Beaverton from 10AM-1PM. Address: 7424 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Portland, OR 97225
9. Winners: It is anticipated (subject to the quality of entries) that a minimum of 10 beers will be selected to advance. CWS at their discretion may choose more than 10 brewers to advance. Winning Beers will then be shipped to one or more of the following events. The WateReuse Symposium in Tampa, FL, The Water Environment Federation Technical Education Conference in New Orleans, LA, and potentially the National League of Cities annual conference in Pittsburgh, PA. Beers shipped to New Orleans will also compete in an additional and Friendly Club Run-off competition vs. other communities including Tampa Bay Beers. Each brewer whose beer is selected to advance will receive an additional $50 and 4 cans of their beer. A onetime BOS winner will also be chosen at the competition and that brewer will receive another $50 ($100 total).
10. Corny Kegs: Empty kegs will be returned to all brewers at some point after the canning is complete. Date and Location TBD.
11. Cans: Brewers whose beer does not advance will receive all of their beer in 16 oz cans. (less any opened during the Competition.
12. Fees: None