There are a wealth of opportunities to serve on the club’s board and many different ways to get involved with club activities. Following are the board positions that will be up for election at the November meeting. As OBC board veterans will tell you, serving on the board is a great way to get to know your fellow club members as well as professional brewers and beer industry luminaries. Please take a look at the “job descriptions” below and feel free to contact a current board member to find out more about the work that they do, and how you can get involved.
President, Chris Hummert -email@example.com
Vice President, Warren Johnson -firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary, Rick Okamura -email@example.com
Treasurer, Will Minderhout -firstname.lastname@example.org
Education Committee Chairman, Aaron Hanson -email@example.com
Competition Committee Chairman, Ted Assur firstname.lastname@example.org
Communication Committee Chairman, Seamus Jared King –email@example.com
Burgermeister Committee Chairman, Josh Huerta -firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Committee Chairwoman, Lee Hedgmon -email@example.com
Past President, Mark Easton -firstname.lastname@example.org
(1) President: This officer will preside at all Brew Crew board and membership meetings. The President will be responsible for securing the meeting place. The President will be responsible for planning and preparing an agenda for meetings of the membership, Board of Directors and Executive Committee. The President shall appoint chairs and members of ad hoc committees established by the Board. The President shall review the financial records of the club on a regular basis. The President shall appoint a liaison with the American Homebrewers Association (“AHA”) and/or other national organizations. The President will serve as ex-officio member of all committees.
(2) Vice-President: This officer shall, in the absence or disability of the President, perform all of the duties of the President and when so acting, shall have all the powers of and be subject to the restrictions on the President. The Vice-President shall maintain a record of all property owned by the Oregon Brew Crew and shall supervise its proper use and safekeeping. The Vice-President shall perform such other duties and have such other authority and powers as the President, within his or her authority, may delegate from time to time.
(3) Secretary: This officer shall record, or cause to be recorded, all votes, actions, and minutes of major proceedings at meetings of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee, and at all regular meetings of the membership. The Secretary will be responsible for distributing minutes to the board in accordance with board policy. The Secretary shall assure that elections are conducted in accordance with these bylaws, including, but not limited to, preparation, validation, and counting of ballots. This officer shall oversee all official correspondence of the Oregon Brew Crew. This officer shall supervise the maintenance and safekeeping of all records and historical archives of the Oregon Brew Crew. The Secretary will be responsible for notification of meetings to the relevant parties. The Secretary is an ex-officio member of the Communications Committee.
(4) Treasurer: This officer will have custody of all funds and securities of the Oregon Brew Crew and will be responsible for properly accounting of all income and disbursements. The Treasurer, or his/her designate, shall report on the current financial condition of the Brew Crew at all board meetings and upon request shall render to the President or the Board of Directors an accounting of all financial transactions. The Treasurer shall prepare an annual budget showing expected revenues and expenditures for the coming year. This will be presented to the Board of Directors for approval prior to the annual meeting of the membership and thereafter to the membership for approval at the annual meeting. The Treasurer shall file, or cause to be filed, any tax returns or related forms that may be required by law, pertinent to the finances of the Oregon Brew Crew. This officer will maintain the Brew Crew’s non-profit status and will advise the President and Board of Directors of any Brew Crew actions that could jeopardize such status.
(5) Communications Committee Chair: Responsible for the creation, publication and distribution of the monthly Brew Crew newsletter. This committee shall also be responsible for the maintenance of electronic communications including the Oregon Brew Crew web site.
(6) Education Committee Chair: Responsible for educational aspect of club activities. This may include, but is not limited to, organization of workshops, public homebrewing demonstrations, tours of commercial brewing related businesses and the Beer Judge Certification training series.
(7) Festival/Volunteer Coordination Chair: Responsible for coordinating the recruitment, training and supervision of volunteers for events the Brew Crew agrees to support with such efforts, including the Oregon Brewers Festival, Spring Beer and Wine Festival, and the North American Organic Brewers Festival. The Chair of this committee serves as a liaison to the sponsor and/or management of such events.
(8) Competition Committee Chair: Responsible for the practical application of educational efforts related to homebrew competitions. The committee shall organize style competitions and encourage members’ participation as entrants, stewards, judges, or organizers at AHA sanctioned or other brewing competitions. Responsible for organizing the club’s annual competitions, including Fall Classic and Heart of Cascadia.
(9) Burgermeister: Responsible for arranging the availability of food and beverages at Brew Crew functions.